Saturday, January 15, 2011

The world art stage comes to Singapore

Yesterday I went to Art Stage Singapore, Asia's new and ambitious art fair - and the new opening of the world's art season.  I was pretty keen to go and see this as at the helm is former Director of Art Basel and the Co-Creator of Art Basel Miami Beach. For those of you who don't know these are major events rocking the world of art each year.

Anyway I think this could be the start of something big for Singapore. And the quality of the exhibits definitely  pointed in that direction.

Here are some of my personal favourites...

The first exhibit that stopped me in my tracks was The Final Judgement by Indonesian artist Ronald Manullang...









It doesn't take a genius to see why. Twisted and deeply thought-provoking, the artist himself describes the series as "an artistic punishment, the art of expiation, to atone for all the souls that (Hitler) had taken away, which he would repay with his own soul."


I was really pleased to see there was a bit of the great and mysterious British street artist on show and I thought the subject was a perfect fit with Singapore's love affair with shopping...




Interactive art always floats my boat so I loved the installation by Japanese artist Takashi Kuribayashi, Forest from Forest, which is yes you got it, a forest...but one made out of traditional handmade Japanese paper that starts above your head with holes cut into it so you can poke your head through and enter the tranquillity of the forest if only partially...









Also a bit of humour in art goes a long way so I loved Albert Watson's (one of the world's most successful fashion and commercial photographers of the last four decades) cheeky Monkey with Masks...





and Steroids Shrink Your Balls by the iconic photographer David Lachapelle...



and finally what better use of Veuve Cliquot boxes than to get British designer Tom Dixon to use them to make a massive structure suspended from the ceiling...genius!



It's creator gives Art Stage five years to achieve it's mission of being one of the top art shows in the world and I say it's off to a very good start!

No comments: