Sunday, February 27, 2011

God is a DJ - Faithless takes Singapore by storm

If God is a DJ, then he was looking down on Singapore on the night Faithless descended on our little red dot.

When I first tried to rally people to go to the Faithless gig, it got a bit of a lukewarm response kind of like they were a bit of old hat. And I have to admit there was a part of me that wondered whether they could pull it off. After all the club anthem "I Can't Get No Sleep" that my generation danced their socks off to came out 14 years ago (hmmm...showing my age?!).

But after a fine old warm up set by up-and-coming indie/dance band Friendly Fires 


any suspicion I had that Faithless might just play the same old tunes in the same old way so much so that I might as well be back in the Student Union vanished pronto.   

They had totally remastered everything plus they had some brilliant new material. Maxi Jazz was totally rocking it in all his naked-top-half trip hop glory and Sister Bliss was an electronica dominatrix. 


Who knew that anyone could create such an electric atmosphere in Singapore and have everyone going absolutely mental, hands in the air, jumping up and down and sweating - yes sweating - in perfect unison? 


But the question on everyone's lips of course is did they play God is a DJ?

Well come on now, don't be silly, of course they did and it went something like this...

For one night only, Fort Canning Park could have been the legendary Brixton Academy. Well I can dream can't I?

With thanks to Jeremy for the photos!

No comments: