Sunday, August 21, 2011

The Best of British @ The Jackson Plan

There are times I really crave good old British comfort food. And for those times I've now found the perfect place to go - The Jackson Plan at Duxton Hill, Singapore's very own gastro pub.

What I love about this place is the attention to detail at conjuring up the best of British which starts at the menu but extends to details like the lino floor, tea towel napkins, vinegar dispensers, tea-house plates and The Fine Young Cannibals and Blur playing as you walk in through the door. I never thought I would look upon such things with fresh fondness!


A great effort for an establishment set up by an Italian restauranteur -  Beppe de Vito (a famous name in the food industry here who is the man behind the restaurants Il Lido and Forlino). And he cleverly hired a Scottish chef by the name of Christopher Dougan to ensure the food was authentic.

Knowing how filling British food usually is, we shared a starter of Smoked Haddock Rarebit with poached egg which was very tasty indeed...
And as I had been dreaming of Fisherman's Pie for the longest time there was only one thing on my mind when we got there. It was beautiful - crispy on top, creamy on the inside with the right mix of everything. Just lovely. I never thought I would polish the whole thing off (it was much bigger than it looks in this pic) but it was so yummy I did.
Mr C being a Northern boy went for the Lancashire Hotpot. I was amazed at how lovely and soft the lamb inside was. 
And of course we couldn't hold back on the sides of mushy peas and baked beans - the latter which was homemade! Mr C and I disagreed on this as he couldn't believe it was not Heinz but I thought he was being daft as what could be better than homemade baked beans?!
And of course we washed it all down with a spot of English tea and cucumber juice....
 

Obviously by this point we were absolutely full to the brim but as my eyes had popped out when I saw Sticky Toffee Pudding on the menu when we first arrived so we somehow found a corner in our tummys to share one. And we did not regret it. It was pudding heaven!  
Make sure you have a taxi booked so you can literally roll into it from having a belly full of very satisfying food  indeed!

The Jackson Plan
40 Duxton Hill
Singapore 08961
Tel: +65 6866 1988


For more information see their website here.





3 comments:

The Jackson Plan said...

Hi Ms Demeanour,

Thanks very much for the great review on The Jackson Plan and we will love to share it on our facebook! We are really glad you love our signature dishes (Fishermen's pie and Lancashire hotpot)so much! If you are a great fan of authentic British nosh, do come back for more because there’s so many other great dishes such as potted smoked mackerel, Beef Shin that you've got to try. And if you are looking for some real British punch, give Pimm's No.1 cup a try next time you are here!(Our Happy Hour starts from 5-8pm everyday) Look forward to seeing you at The Jackson Plan soon!

Ms Demeanour said...

Hi there Jackson Plan! Thanks very much for the lovely comment and for stopping by. I sincerely enjoyed my visit. I'm definitely looking forward to coming by again - I am a big beef fan so my tummy is already jumping out at the thought of Beef Shin! And of course being a Brit I have a weak spot for Pimms so don't worry I'll be having some of that too! Until next time :)

Angel said...

Can't say exactly the same about their Fish and Chips, as the essential lemon was missing from mine. And this coming from a Singaporean. Supposedly.

If you must know, Harry Ramsden was here back in 1997 but they folded up due to a. lack of interest b. wrong location.